Donating My Hair

I have been in love with my hair for years. It was long, yet more or less easy to take care of and it made me feel pretty. It got me lots of compliments. My hair always felt like a part of me - it gave me confidence.




 Once I cut it off to my shoulders, but that was when I was 13. I remember that I regretted it. That kept me away from thoughts about cutting my hair short again for a very long time. But then I noticed the stories of people who cut their hair in order to donate it to charities on the internet and on TV. At first I thought they were brave and that I could never let go of my long hair.

I'm not exactly sure what pulled the lever but one day I decided that I got bored of my hair. At first I thought about dyeing it but I just couldn't set on a colour. I didn't think about actually cutting and donating my hair because I thought it was only a thing in the US or the UK since my country is usually not the fastest to catch up on trends or anything else.

But then I found out about an organisation in my country that produces wigs for children and that gladly accepts donations - whether it's hair or money. The hair just needs to be over 25cm and healthy - so no dyed hair!

After some thinking, I finally went to one of their hairdressers to realise my idea. It was the 4th of May.

The hairdresser was so lovely and funny. She started brushing my hair and asked me how much she was allowed to cut away - a very sensitive topic, as we all know well - and then she braided my hair.






Just before the final cut, she asked me again if I was sure of my decision. That was when I started crying like the girls in the topmodel shows who get a total make over against their will - joking. ;)
I had made up my mind for a couple of months, so I just wanted to put it into action. Snap! It was done.




Afterwards the hair that I still had on my had was washed and cared for and I dyed it slightly - most of my family and friends didn't even notice it, so indeed just a slight colour change! So now I hope that my braid has made its way safely to the head office of the organisation and that it will make a pretty wig along with 4 other braids (yes, they need that many for just one wig!). I hope that I'm able to make a child happy this way. :)

Ever since, I haven't regretted it a bit. There's nothing heavy hanging from my head anymore. I don't need to find a creative way to keep my hair out of the way. And even better, it wasn't in vain - I got the chance to donate it to an amazing charity that will hopefully receive more donations in the future.

Have you donated your hair to charity? What are your experiences and thoughts about it? Let me know :)

Have a great day,
Julia xx


Me just a couple of weeks ago, with shorter hair in beautiful Croatia

Comments

Popular Posts