Book Recommendation: Legend by Marie Lu

Goodness, I've been extremely inactive the past months, it's unbelievable. But I have a good reason for that: I started university. The previous weeks were stressful, scaring and sometimes a little difficult but they were also funny and interesting. But I won't talk about that today. (Maybe later, in February)

This time, I want to share a book with you that I have read last month and it was just an amazing read. As you've already read in the title, the book I'm talking about is Legend by Marie Lu.




I am not sure how well-known this book is where you live - although it is a New York Times Bestseller - I just know that it's not something that many people have read where I come from since nobody recommended this to me. I became aware of it thanks to BookTubers online and Goodreads members who mostly praised Legend in their reviews.

Legend isn't a completely new book, you have to know. It was first published in 2011 and it's the first book of a - surprise! - trilogy. The following books are called Prodigy and Champion and they have already been published so you don't need to wait desperately for the sequels to be available. Still I haven't got hold of them yet which is really terrible since I feel the urge to continue reading this amazing story. Oh and if you haven't guessed it already, Legend is a young adult dystopian novel (Those kind of novels happen to be quite successful right now and to be honest, I am quite a fan of the dystopian genre).

So what is Legend about? In Marie Lu's novel, the USA are parted into two nations in the future, called the Republic and the Colonies, and they are at war. June and Day, the main characters of the story, both live in Los Angeles, a city that is on Republic ground. They are both fifteen, yet their lives couldn't be any more different. June lives in one of the rich sectors in Los Angeles and has an older brother, Metias, who is pretty high-ranked in the military. June wants to follow his footsteps and is on a good way to do so. Their parents died in a tragic way when June was very young. Meanwhile in one of the slum sectors, Day needs to hide from the soldiers because he is the most-wanted criminal of the Republic because he manipulated and destroyed military properties several times. Yet Day doesn't want to leave the country because the plague is spreading in the poor sectors and he is worried about his family. It's a dangerous world for him since he is supposed to be dead since he was ten years old. Why? Because the Republic set up a Trial for all ten-year-olds in order to find out who could be of use for the country. Day did pretty bad so they wanted to send him and other children to labour camps but Day managed to flee. Also, June got the perfect score in her Trial, which is 1500 - she is the prodigy of the Republic, their biggest hope. Why would they ever cross paths? Well, when Day is said to have killed June's brother Metias and she has to track him down, things will change for both of them...

I don't want to spoil too much for you, but maybe this made you a little curious about Marie Lu's story. By the way, this book is written in two points of views: Day's and June's. I approved of the author's storytelling and it made me feel closer with both of the main characters. It made them likable and I genuiely enjoyed how Marie Lu brought June and Day to life on page. The plot was thrilling - it simply made me want to never stop reading. I also thought that Marie Lu's story and her future prospects were quite plausible. What I didn't like was maybe the relationship between June and Day - that was something that sort of seemed a bit forced. (Not going into detail here as I don't have the intention to tell you everything already.)

So if you are looking for a suspense-packed novel with amazing characters and if you generally enjoy dystopian novels, this might be the right pick for you. The next time you go book shopping, keep your eyes open for a grey book called Legend. Don't miss out on this story!

Already read Legend? Let me know in the comments what you think of it! :)

My Rating: ★★★★★



Have a great day!
Julia Annabeth x

Comments

  1. I read "Legend" a few years ago and I must say I really enjoyed reading it at that time :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts