9 Hours in Budapest | Travel Diary

Szia!
So quite recently I have been to Budapest, the capital city of Hungary. Not only have I been there to do a bit of sightseeing, but also to meet my Hungarian pen pal for the first time! This day was simply amazing and I enjoyed my first stay in Hungary. I hope to visit Budapest (if you want to pronounce it like a Hungarian, you need to say "sh" instead of "s") again soon. In this post I want to show you the four most important und most beautiful locations and sights of Budapest and share my experience with travelling by Flixbus with you. Finally I will list some important words and phrases in Hungarian that you might need whilst visiting Budapest (Though I am sure you won't have many problems with communicating in English...but learning another language and actually using it is much more fun, isn' it?).

First of all, if you want to really explore the city, one day (or nine hours) isn't enough, that's for sure. But you do get to see genuinely lovely places. Do not miss Fischerman's Bastion, the Hungarian Parliament Building, St. Stephen's Basilica or Hősök tere (Heroes' Square)!




Hősök tere


Our first stop was the Heroes' Square of Budapest. What a huge place! It is surrounded by two museums (Museum of Fine Arts and Palace of Art). What you can also see there are various statues of the nation's heroes. This place is also a World Heritage Site from UNESCO. Definitely worth seeing with your own eyes! :)


Hungarian Parliament Building





The question is: If you haven't seen the Hungarian Parliament Building whilst visting Budapest - Have you even been to Budapest at all? Why did you even go there? Seriously, this building is so majestic, like who wouldn't want to do their work there? It is said to be the most beautiful Parliament building of Europe...is it even possible to argue against that? Probably not. That's why you need to see it. It's just stunning. 






St. Stephen's Basilica


Another must-see in beautiful Budapest. The Basilica is simply ernormus (it's the biggest one in Budapest!). And because Budapest has a unique Inner City, you might also want to go a little further and just take a stroll through the old streets, especially through Váci utca (Váci Street), the most famous one in the centre of the city. It is a pedestrian area and you can find many (familiar) shops there as well as cafés and bistros in case you want to take a break and just enjoy your time being away from home in a calm surrounding.



Fisherman's Bastion


In my opinion, the Fischerman's Bastion was the highlight of my visit. The architecture is utterly interesting and you get a wonderful view of Budapest. Just the perfect place for a very cliché touristy photo! Seriously, go up there! You wouldn't want to miss it!


My experience with Flixbus


Because Budapest isn't that far away from where I live, I decided to go there by bus since it was cheaper than the train and I didn't really want to search endlessly for a parking spot in the city if I went by car. I heard of the company Flixbus just a few weeks before I actually went to Budapest and the prices were just right, so I wanted to give it a go. And I wasn't disappointed at all! Of course, travelling by bus is probably not the most comfortable way but with Flixbus it was easy. We did arrive on time in Budapest and on the way home. As I mentioned before it was a rather short trip so I am not sure if I would like to go on a very long bus ride. Flixbus has a huge network in Europe by the way, you can go to Malmö, Paris, Berlin, Milano and many more cities by bus. Even though I just travelled once by Flixbus, I would recommend it to you, at least for shorter trips. 


Public transport in Budapest

In my opinion, it was easy to get around the city using bus, metro or tram. The transport network is really great and, also imporant to mention, it is very clean. I bought a 24h ticket which was pretty cheap and worth its purchase. You can use it for any kind of transportation in Budapest. What I found pretty interesting was that they were ticket inspectors at every metro entrance - I have never seen that before in any city. You need to show them your ticket every time, so it's impossible to travel without paying for it. 
Oh and please travel with the metro line M1. Their trains are the oldest, still used trains of Europe and they just look so cute because they are so short! Sounds weird? You need to see them yourself! 


A small Hungarian vocabulary for your next trip to Magyarország

Just a hint: "sz" is pronounced "s" and "s" is pronounced "sh"! :)

Szia! - Hello!
Jó reggelt! - Good morning!
Jó napot! - Good day!
Jó estét! - Good evening!
Közönöm! - Thanks! (I can't think of any way how to explain the pronunciation of "ö", I'm afraid! :/)
Viszontlátásra! - Goodbye! 
Elnézést! - Excuse me!
Igen - Yes
Nem - No


I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I had creating it! Have you been to Budapest before? What advice would you give someone who's planning to visit this wonderful city? Or have you never been there but you would love to? Let me know in the comments! :)

Julia Annabeth x



 

Comments

Popular Posts